Why do over 50% of Enterprise Software implementations fail? Because executives select software that delivers no time savings for the users who have to manually enter the data into cumbersome forms. Also these applications provide little to no collaboration resulting in users re-entering data over and over again. Executives need to select tools that meet the needs of the end users and the executive team. This means you must consider how the data is going to get into the application for populating the reports. Data should be coming from vendors, contractors, consultants and field personal. Those who generate it should put the data directly into the application eliminating the need for redundant data entry. It should also be easy for them to enter the data.
How can you tell you are about to buy one of these Expensive solutions for managing capital construction projects?
- Collaborators are supplied with basic web portals for entering data<this is not collaboration>
- Application daily users are not excited or even included in the decision process
- Implementation services are billed on an hourly basis instead of lump sum
- Word Enterprise application appears in product name and marketing material extensively
- Product is called Microsoft Sharepointe, see why there are 290,000 Google search results for “Sharepointe Sucks” <http://www.huddle.com/blog/sharepoint-sucks/>
- Implementation takes 1 to 4 years.
Remember friends don’t let friends buy Enterprise Software